The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) at the U.S. Department of Labor has developed lists of technical assistance resources to help state and local workforce leaders, youth program practitioners, stakeholders and partners get prepared to successfully implement a high-quality summer youth employment programs. This page provides tools on several of the youth Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act (WIOA) Program Element focused on education and supportive services.
- Supporting the Educational and Career Success for Youth under WIOA, the U.S. Departments of Labor and Education (Departments) released a technical assistance document that provides strategies and examples of State and local partnerships that facilitate the reengagement of out-of-school youth.
- Mentoring is a formal relationship between a youth participant and an adult mentor that includes structured activities where the mentor offers guidance, support, and encouragement to develop the competence and character of the mentee.
- Supportive Services connects young people to additional services in order to support their work experience is fundamental to successful youth development.
- Tutoring, Study Skills Training, and Dropout Prevention are activities that lead to completion of a high school diploma or recognized equivalent by providing academic support and keeping a young person in-school and engaged in a formal learning and/or training setting.
- Education offered concurrently with workforce preparation and training reflects an integrated education and training model and describes how workforce preparation activities, basic academic skills, and hands-on occupational skills training are to be taught within the same time frame and connected to training in a specific occupation, occupational cluster, or career pathway.
- Comprehensive guidance and counseling provides individualized counseling to participants including substance and alcohol abuse counseling, mental health counseling, and referrals to partner programs.
- Postsecondary Preparation and Transition Activities are activities that help youth prepare for and transition to postsecondary education and training; these services include helping youth explore postsecondary education options, including technical training schools, community colleges, 4-year colleges and universities, and Registered Apprenticeship programs.